Postcards from the Road
By Allen Scott/For the Humboldt Crabs
Redding Series: June 27 – June 29
REDDING, CA (June 28, 2014) — In a controversy filled game at Redding on Saturday night, the Humboldt Crabs dropped the second game of the three game series 6-3. Eight Crabs were ejected from the game at different times including manager Tyson Fisher. The Colt 45 manager Rick Bosetti was also tossed but none of his players went out despite a bench clearing incident.
The Crabs scored first on a double by Kyle Moses and the RBI single by Trent Goodrich in the third inning. Redding countered back in the bottom of the inning on the first of the several arguments. Third baseman EJ Stanton fielded a slow roller and fired to first. First baseman Brent Gillespie, in the eyes of the Crabs, recorded the out, pulled the ball out of his glove to throw it around the infield. His throw to shortstop Goodrich was off line and all of a sudden Jack Flahrity of the Colt 45's took off for second and then third. The umpire contended that Gillespie had dropped the ball. Crabs manager Tyson Fisher argued that the drop was on the exchange from the glove. Fisher lost and was ejected.
The controversy re-started in the Crabs sixth when Morgan McCasland was hit by a pitch and EJ Stanton collided with the 45's first baseman in the course of running out an infield hit. Runners advance with the ball down the right field line and the first baseman on the ground.
Colt 45's catcher Cole Taylor took exception and fronted off Stanton near the Crabs dugout, prompting several Crabs to come off the bench, follow in suit by Colt 45's from their bench. The only players tossed were Humboldt team members.
The 45's manager was tossed on a disputed call at home when an errant McCasland toss to second got away but Matt Sinatro pounced on the ball, throwing to McCasland for the out, the argument, and the ejection.
The Crabs are now 13-8 on the season.
Saturday's Box Score:
Crabs 001 001 001 3 5 2
Redding 001 100 11X 6 9 3
WP: Alex Lee
LP: Dillon Houser
For full box score, click here: Redding Colt 45s Point Streak page.
Redding Searchlight article about the game by HSU Alumni Nate Abaurrea, click here.
Article by Ray Aspuria from the Times-Standard newspaper in Eureka, click here.
Friday, June 27 • From Tiger Field, Redding:
• Friday night's attendance: 649
• Friday night's score: Crabs 10, Colt 45s 0
• Read the game summary from the Times-Standard, click here.
• Friday night's Full box score from the Redding Colt 45s website, click here.
• Article from the Redding Searchlight, click here.
Sunday, June 29 • From Tiger Field, Redding:
• Sunday night's score: Crabs 3, Colt 45s 10
• Sunday's box score from the Redding Colt 45s website, click here.
• The Crabs record: 13 Wins and 9 Losses
• Redding Searchlight article, click here.
• Times-Standard Eureka article, click here.
• Athlete of the Week with Chet Davis from KIEM News Ch. 3
• Watch Crabs Corner every Sunday on KIEM News. Ch. 3