About the Crabs
Founded in 1945, the Humboldt Crabs are the oldest, continuously-operated, collegiate, independent, wood-bat, summer baseball team in the country. 2023 will mark the 79th consecutive year of operations for Crabs baseball. The team is currently based out of Arcata, California. Mailing address: PO Box 4422, Arcata, CA 95518
The Crabs’ roster is made up of NCAA eligible collegiate players mostly from the West Coast.
(Note: The Crabs are NOT a semi-pro team or affiliated with any farm, minor league or major league teams at this time. Nor are the Crabs affiliated with any baseball leagues. The Crabs are currently an independent team.)
The Crabs mission is four-fold:
- To promote family entertainment by providing high-quality summer collegiate baseball games to the public at a reasonable price;
- To provide talented collegiate-level baseball players with a positive summer baseball experience;
- To support youth sports programs (with an emphasis on baseball or softball) in the Humboldt County area with contributions of funding and/or equipment as funds permit in addition to annual baseball skills camps and clinics operated by Humboldt Crabs players and coaches;
- To preserve and build the tradition of Humboldt Crabs Baseball.
SPONSORSHIPS & SUPPORT: Humboldt Crabs Baseball, Inc is a 501(c)(4) community-owned organization. A volunteer board of directors rely on the support of community partners & sponsors to keep the Humboldt Crabs Baseball operation functioning. The Crabs can customize any sponsorship to a company’s needs. CLICK HERE to learn more about partnering and sponsoring. If you just wish to donate, click on DONATE to the Crabs. No donation is too small. A box of baseballs is around $130.00.
Board of Directors
As a non-profit organization, the Crabs rely on a dedicated group of non-paid volunteers for the day-to-day operations. The volunteer Board of Directors range in size from 12 to 15 individuals. Each board member is responsible for handling many behind-the-scenes tasks that allow the Humboldt Crabs Baseball team to continue operating. If you’d like to volunteer or work for the Crabs, please contact our Board of Directors President to inquire (see email address below).
The Humboldt Crabs Board of Directors was first established in 1995 when the team was on the verge of collapse. A group of community members who loved Crabs baseball rallied to save the team and created a non-profit organization to handle the daily operations. In the past 20+ years, the Board of Directors, with the help of many loyal and dedicated community sponsors have grown the fan base to the point where the Crabs have set attendance records, pulling in more than 34,000 fans in the months of June-Aug. The team gives back to local businesses in the summer months when the bulk of the students from CalPoly Humboldt have left town, infusing millions of dollars into the local economy from the visiting teams, visitors, fans, players and their families who spend time in Humboldt County just to come and watch the Crabs play.
The current Crabs Board President is David Sharp. Sharp is a former Crabs player and baseball coach. He can be reached at email@example.com
Send us an email to request a current Ballpark Vendor Application form.
Employment with the Crabs
The Crabs will look to hire a ballpark staff of 20-30 individuals sometime in April. Click here to apply online.
The Arcata Ball Park
The Crabs rent the ballpark on F and 9th streets from the City of Arcata from the start of June until the first weekend of August every summer. Please email Arcata Recreational Division for questions regarding the facility or contact the staff at (707) 825-2202 or Rec@CityofArcata.org for more information.
Donations & Fundraisers
Please submit a written letter about your fundraiser and/or your non-profit organization with a return address and contact information to the Humboldt Crabs, P.O. Box 4422, Arcata, CA 95518, Attn: Donations. Submit donation request letter 3 to 4 weeks in advance of your event or fundraiser. The Crabs primary focus is to support youth sports programs with an emphasis on baseball or softball.
* All Humboldt Crabs Baseball clothing is ©copyrighted and trademarked™. Humboldt Crabs Services and all other products offered via Humboldt Crabs Baseball Inc., are the sole the property of Humboldt Crabs Baseball, a non-profit and community organization. Humboldt Crabs Services and all other products offered are for non-commercial use, and you may not distribute, modify, translate, rebroadcast, transmit, perform or create derivative works from them. Anyone found distributing and selling Humboldt Crabs products without prior consent will be subject to legal action.