ARCATA (December 15, 2023) – The Humboldt Crabs are excited to announce that beginning this summer we will be joining the brand new Pacific Empire League! Joining the Crabs in this new alliance are five additional West Coast organizations with whom Crabs fans are already familiar – the Healdsburg Prune Packers, Lincoln Potters, Medford Rogues, Solano Mudcats, and West Coast Kings.
“The Humboldt Crabs organization is incredibly proud to be a part of the Pacific Empire League,” said Crabs president Scarlet Palmer. “We look forward to moving into our 80th season with a well-executed schedule and vigorous competition for the benefit of both our fans and our players.”
Since their last year in the Far West League in 2013, the Crabs have played as an independent team for the last decade, but have always maintained close ties with several West Coast teams. And when the opportunity arose to join forces with several of those teams, the decision was a no-brainer.
The league affiliation will assure strong competition at the Arcata Ball Park, as well as bring other enhancements to the fan experience, not the least of which is the potential to participate in a three-game championship series at the end of each season between the top two teams in the league.
“The Humboldt Crabs are honored to be a part of the Pacific Empire League in 2024 and years to come,” said Crabs assistant coach Eric Giacone. “We’re excited for the opportunity to compete against the best collegiate teams from Northern California and Southern Oregon. The PEL is going to create rivalries that will increase the fan experience at the Arcata Ballpark moving forward.”
A press release from the Pacific Empire League is below. The 80th season of Humboldt Crabs baseball season begins on Friday, May 31. See you at the ballpark!
Pacific Empire League Release: West Coast Baseball Powerhouses Unite to Form Pacific Empire League (PEL)
Best Coast, USA – Today marks the union of six top-tier Summer Collegiate Baseball franchises on the West Coast as they join forces to launch the Pacific Empire League (PEL). The Healdsburg Prune Packers, Humboldt Crabs, Lincoln Potters, Medford Rogues, Solano Mudcats, and West Coast Kings will anchor the league in a groundbreaking collaboration.
The PEL is dedicated to delivering robust competition and fostering player development in fan-focused communities.
In its debut 2024 season, the PEL will unite three former CCL teams (Prune Packers, Potters, Mudcats), leading Bay Area squad, the West Coast Kings, and two thriving independent teams (Crabs and Rogues). The summer schedule, featuring a climactic 3-game Championship Series, will provide a dynamic summer game range of up to 55 high-stakes matchups.
“The Pacific Empire League checks all the boxes as a topnotch collegiate baseball league, featuring historic teams with devoted fan bases, and strong ties to college coaches and scouts. Our integrated tech further enhances player exposure and development.” – Joey Gomes, GM/Head Coach, Healdsburg Prune Packers
Meet the Teams
- Healdsburg Prune Packers: Dominated the CCL for six seasons, finishing atop the northern division each year while claiming the league championship the last three consecutive seasons. Over 70 players drafted or signed pro contracts.
- Lincoln Potters: Seven-season winning record, three CCL playoff appearances, leading in fan engagement, and 15 drafted players in the past two years.
- Humboldt Crabs: America’s oldest continually-operated Summer Collegiate Baseball team since 1945, fostering over 300 pro players.
- Medford Rogues: Independent trailblazers with nearly a thousand fans per game, 39 players drafted or signed since 2013.
- Solano Mudcats: A Summer Collegiate Baseball staple since 1990, boasting 31 D1 players in the last three seasons.
- West Coast Kings: 2021 and 2023 West Coast World Series champions, featuring 61 D1 talents in the last three seasons.